When you have the need to create a custom report for data stored in the LMS, you will make a few decisions:
- First, you have to decide the report type.
- Second, you have to choose the report parameters which include the Filter criteria, Group by options and Reporting columns.
- Third, you have to decide whether or not you want to save the report to your Report list, allow Administrator access to the report and/or run and download the report to your computer.
It is important to accurately understand how the reporting tool works so that you can easily and conveniently run a report showing the information you are looking for at any given time. This article is intended to get you started with the reporting tool.
Go to the Report list
Click Reports in the left navigation area.
Create a New Report
Click the New Report button at the top right of the page.
(1) Choose the Report Type
If you don't already know which report type to run, think about what you would call your report and what data you need to fulfill the requirements of that report. Then, look at the report types and pick the one that makes the most sense as a related category.
For example, "All users who passed the activity about effective team building before today" or "how many people enrolled in the Cyber Security path this year" or "who has not completed the Solar Storage path before today" are all Activity Enrollments reports.
- After you choose the report type from the dropdown menu and titled the report, click the Create button.
(2a) Report parameters - Filter Criteria
The first thing you want to do once reaching the custom report window is select your Filter criteria, which is accessed by clicking the Edit Query button. What you select in this area pairs down the information you see in your report. There are three components to each filter:
- The first allows you to select the desired database field. i.e., users, activities, enrollments
- The second allows you to select the desired operator, such as “is” or “contains”.
- The third is the desired text, number or date value.
Note: For select database fields, the second component will be pre-populated with values in a dropdown. For example, “Enrollment completed on” has such values as “year to date” and “last 90 days”.
To add an additional filter, click the “+” button on the right of an existing filter. To remove a filter, click the “-” button for that filter. There is no limit to the number of filters you can use.
(2b) Report parameters - Report columns
- Click the dropdown next to a column name in the data window at the bottom of the page.
- Click the Edit Columns option.
Choosing Report columns is a bit simpler than choosing Filter criteria. The report columns are your options for columns on your report. How will your data be displayed? Above are common report columns chosen for an Activity Enrollments report. Columns can be added, dragged and dropped to the desired order, or removed from the report.
(3) Administrator access, Save report and Exporting
- Before saving or running the report, decide whether or not to allow administrator access to the report. Click the Admin Permissions option from the Actions dropdown at the top right of the screen and choose the appropriate level of administrator access you wish.
- Saving your Report: Once you have entered all necessary Filter Criteria, Group by columns, and Report columns, you can save your report for later access. In the top righthand corner of a custom report, click the Save button.
- Click the Export button in the top left corner, and you can download the report to your computer in CSV, XML, HTML, Excel or PDF format. You will also get an e-mail, if the report is in your account, saying that the report has been generated.